Saturday, March 14, 2009

Free VST's

This post was inspired by a post I read at KVR-Audio.com. It went to the effect of someone posting asking what the best freeware synth is. This prompted a discussion that went at least 8 pages deep, full of tedious responses, and some flaming. So I checked out some of the recommendations, others I had tried before. To me, there is a reason that some software is worth paying for; I guess the answer lies in GUI, sound, and reliability. It seems to me that no free synth can boast having all three components. Ultimately as a musician, you have to ask: does this inspire me? I have yet to find a freeware synth where the answer is "yes". Free things can be good, but sometimes they're just a diversion, and ultimately worth what you "paid" for them.

No comments: